KHUN PAULS AVIATION QUIZ
1. Your VNE is 110 kts and you are flying in calm conditions at 100 kts indicated
at 6,000 ft. What is your true airspeed?
2. Indicated stall speed changes with density and temperature. True or false?
3. You are on downwind leg at your airport and your engine stops. You know from experience you can glide to the runway from this point when you fly alone. But today you are at gross weight. Can you still reach the runway?
4. With flaps down, does the aircraft stall at a higher / lower / same angle of attack?
5. What is the most dangerous aspect of flying with the C of G beyond rear limit?
6. You are low on fuel. Do you fly speed for best endurance or best range?
7. You take off from Chiang Mai towards the mountains on a very cold day. Temperature on the ground is 5 celsius. Does your altimeter over or under read?
8. If your static port is blocked, what is the effect on the ASI, altimeter and VSI?
9. Aircraft touch down at a speed lower than stall speed. True or false?
10. There is a 30 degree crosswind at 10 kts. How many knots headwind ?
11. What is Va airspeed and why is it not marked on the ASI?
12. Taking off from a dry grass runway with a 2% upslope in Thailand (typical density altitude 3,000 ft, how much longer is the T/O run compared to the pilot handbook?
13. Why did the P-51 Mustang have such a long range for a fighter?
14. A steady red signal to an aircraft in flight means what?
15. Speed for best range / rate of climb / glide are about the same. True or false?
16. Chiang Rai is 19.57N and Kamphaeng Saen 14.05N. What distance in Nt miles?
17. Name 5 important items for cruise checks in flight?
18. What does this METAR say? VTUU 301250 301250Z 20015 K 170V250 9999 RA SCT018CB SCT070 BKN100 16/13 Q1004 RETS NOSIG
19. Name 3 advantages of flying higher on a cross country
20. In Thailand at a density altitude of 2,500 ft what is the approx power loss in %?
21. What are the 2 major engine considerations in a long descent at idle?
22. An aircraft flies level at a higher angle of attack when it is heavier. True or false?
23. What are the 2 main dangers in exceeding Vne in calm conditions?
24. You approach an unfamiliar airfield with a gusting crosswind. Touchdown point is downwind of tall trees. What is your response?
25. Normally aircraft pitch down when flaps are lowered because the centre of lift moves back. Why do some aircraft like the C150 pitch up on half flap?
26. VFR heading 060. What is the correct height? 4,000 4,500 5,000 5500
27. Congested area – at least 1,500 ft above highest object within 600m. Correct?
28. Minimum VFR visibility below 10,000 ft. 3 km, 5km 10 km?
29. What is the error in this message “Pattaya direct Wattana 14 DME 235 radial ident 4404 altitude 3,500 ft” ?
30. If you look left and see smoke on the ground in one direction and on the right it is in the opposite direction, what does it mean?
31. How long do instructors say before non-instrument pilots become dangerously disoriented in cloud or extremely low visibility?
32. You are flying along the ‘spine’ from Hua Hin to Surat and there are rain squalls over the hills. Is it a good option to fly parallel over the sea?
33. Do you need to be cautious taking off and climbing at Vx – best angle of climb?
34. What are the VFR rules to keep clear of cloud?
35. If the windsock indicates a 10 kt wind from 180, what will the wind be at 2,000 ft?
CHECK YOUR ANSWERS
Email Paul to thank him and ask when the next quizz will be