Thai Regulations for Ultralight Aircraft
By The Civil Aviation Board #43
12 September 1996
translation by kind favor of www.pattayaairpark.com
An Ultralight = is a very light aircraft, heavier than air (with or without engine) that the max. take off weight must not exceed 500 kgs.
2. There are 3 types of Ultralights
2.1 Without engine, the empty weight must not exceed 75 kgs.
2.2 With engine - single seat, the empty weight exclude floats and / or safety equipments must not exceed 160 kgs., max. speed must not exceed 55 knots, stalling speed must not exceed 24 knots, fuel tank capacity must not exceed 20 liters
2.3 With engine - dual seat , the empty weight exclude floats and / or safety equipments must not exceed 250 kgs., max. speed must not exceed 90 knots, stalling speed must not exceed 45 knots, fuel tank capacity must not exceed 50 liters
3. The purpose to fly an Ultralight and itís limitations, are limited for government, government co-operative or for sports and recreation only. If any foundation or association would like to fly an Ultralight for their own benefits must receive the permit from DCA first. The commander of an Ultralight, if not an officer from the government or government co-operative must be an approved pilot and also has to be a member of an approved foundation or association by DCA. Ultralights can be operated during the time, area and altitude as directed by assigned conditions and flight rules.
4. National marking and registration marking for an Ultralight, shall be in accordance with the regulations of the 6th issues, dated Aug.6th, 1957 except the marking on the body of an Ultralight that has to be a letter ďUĒ then follow by another letter and 2 digits number that has to be approved by DCA
5. About Ultralight Pilot, under this regulations, an Ultralight private pilot has to have these qualifications:
5.1 Age no less than 17 years.
5.2 Health, has ability to see, hear, and has a sufficient body structure that can operate an Ultralight
5.3 Has these following knowledge about Ultralights :
a) Basic Flight Theory, Basic Flight Instruments, Flight rules and Meteorology
b) Structure, Power plant, Control system, Performance and Limitations of Ultralight
c) Be able to re-assembly, basic maintenance as directed by itís service manual
d) Rules and regulations about the right of Ultralight private pilot license holder
e) Safety and Emergency procedures and how to avoid the damage to the 3rd party
a) Non power Ultralight, has been trained under control of DCA officer or the Instructor as qualified on number 6. and be able to fly or prove such ability
b) As per Department of transportationís announcement, for powered Ultralight, Flight training has to be under control of DCA officer or Instructor as qualified on number 6. and has the flight time no less than 15 hrs. with minimum of 3 hrs. solo flight and has no less than 45 landings
6. About Ultralight Instructor pilot, the licensed pilot who has endorsed the Ultralight instructor has to have such knowledge on number 5. and has experiences for the minimum of 20 hrs. of that specific Ultralight.
7. The rights and duties of Ultralight Private Pilot, shall be in accordance with the same regulations concern about license permission that has the right to re-assembly, service and maintenance, certified, inspection as stated in the Ultralight service manual but shall not have the rights if the license holder does not study the update Air Directives, Advisories, Service Manual, and Air Worthiness of the Ultralight.
8. Ultralight license holder must have these following discipline:
8.1 Has to record Ultralight Flight log on every flight and keep the log book for DCA inspection
8.2 Has to operate during the time, area and altitude as directed by assigned conditions and flight rules. If uncertain about the area control then the pilot has to check and make sure first
8.3 Must not fly in dangerous manner that can be harmful to personal, properties or disturbance the 3rd person.
8.4 Must not drink any alcohol with in 8 hrs. before flight
9. The rights for Ground Certified Mechanic Type2, has the rights in accordance with the qualifications concern about de-assembly, assembly, repair, maintenance and certified, including minor modified that will not change the Ultralight characteristics and performances but shall not have the rights if the license holder does not study the update Air Directives, Advisories, Service Manual, and Air Worthiness of the Ultralight.